Saturday, May 27, 2006

Bovill, Idaho




I had the pleasure of spending a few days in Bovill this week. It’s really a beautiful, but sad place, almost alpine, where some years it snows until June. Getting out of the land of starched shirts and into such a rustic setting is a bit of a culture shock. I walked around the town to see what I could see, almost expecting to hear dueling banjos around every corner. I didn’t bother to change out of my starched shirt &etc, so the locals stared as if I were from another planet. I was told before I went to ‘lock your car in Bovill’ but I never got that feeling while there. The local tavern was full of apparently unemployed men at 10am, not good. Bovill: another example of the decline of rural America, where those who are left behind are left out.

No comments: